Make your school a Caring School.
Through a unique partnership with Making Caring Common, schools in the Caring Schools Network build caring, inclusive school communities where students feel safe and supported and learn to become responsible and constructive members of a community. In these school communities, students can grow academically, build healthy relationships, and develop key social and emotional skills such as empathy and gratitude.
The Caring Schools Network helps schools use their data to better understand how students, staff, and parents experience their school community. In addition, the Caring Schools Network gives schools access to easy-to-implement research-based strategies that promote children’s social and emotional learning, increase caring and connectedness, and reduce problem behaviors. Schools have access as well to the knowledge and insight of leaders in the field.
Our team includes:
- Richard Weissbourd, Ph.D., Faculty Director at Making Caring Common and Senior Lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Milena Batanova, Ph.D., Research and Evaluation Manager at Making Caring Common and lead on our empathy strategies initiative
- Glenn Manning, Ed.M., Senior Program Coordinator at Making Caring Common and a former high school english teacher and SEL coordinator
For the 2018-2019 academic year, we are offering three levels of participation in the Caring Schools Network: Essential Action, Collective Action, and Comprehensive Action. The priority deadline to register is August 1, 2018.
Essential Action - No cost
The Essential Action package is best suited for schools that prefer a self-guided approach to building a more caring school community.
- An abridged, downloadable version of MCC’s school culture and climate survey that schools can administer themselves
- Access to two Making Caring Common strategies designed to promote kindness and deeper listening
- Invitation to participate in special MCC projects
- Optional inclusion in the Caring Schools #CommonGood campaign for schools that commit to use the survey and strategies as part of a process of continuous improvement
Membership in an international community of caring schools via the Caring Schools #CommonGood email listserv for schools that join the Caring Schools #CommonGood campaign
Collective Action - $5500*
*A select number of schools with Title I status can select the Collective Action plan at no cost
The Collective Action package is best suited for schools that want to deepen their work to build a caring school community with guidance and support from the MCC team.
Includes everything in the Essential Action package plus:
- 2 hours of one-on-one phone consultation with the Making Caring Common team
- Digital school culture and climate survey specially designed by Making Caring Common for schools in the Caring Schools Network
- Advice on administering your survey
- Analysis of your school’s survey data
- A customized action plan that addresses the specific needs of your school community
- Two webinars tailored to the interests of Caring Schools Network schools
- Access to additional Making Caring Common strategies and resources
- Digital “Caring Schools Network” badge to post to your website, social media profiles, or to include in your parent newsletter
Automatic inclusion in the Caring Schools #CommonGood campaign
Comprehensive Action - $7900*
*Limited number of packages available
The Comprehensive Action package is a resource-rich package that offers our highest level of support.
Includes everything in the Collective Action package plus:
- Private hour-long consultation with Making Caring Common’s Faculty Director, Richard Weissbourd. Schools may choose to use this time for a virtual presentation for their faculty or parent community instead of using the time for consultation.
- Additional two hours of personalized consultation from the Making Caring Common team
- Tailored implementation support for strategies that we recommend as part of your school action plan