Diverse group of students will explore ethical and moral issues facing young people today
Making Caring Common (MCC), a project of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, today announced the members of its inaugural Youth Advisory Board (YAB). The board represents a diverse group of young people who will work with Making Caring Common to make schools and communities more just, caring, and respectful places.
Through its work with Making Caring Common, the YAB will explore some of the most pressing ethical and moral issues facing young people today. Board members will provide feedback on MCC strategies and initiatives, share their perspectives on current events and issues in the media, and advise MCC on strategies for communicating with and engaging young people in its work. The YAB will be supplemented by a Youth Consultation Committee that will serve as a sounding board for MCC projects and YAB initiatives.
“I am inspired by these young people; they each demonstrate kindness, empathy, and a concern for others in their every day actions,” said MCC’s partner engagement manager, Luba Falk Feigenberg, who leads the Youth Advisory Board. “Our goal is to support the Youth Advisory Board in their development of leadership and organizing skills so they can effectively work with their peers to cultivate a culture of kindness in their schools and communities.”
The 25 members of the 2015-2016 Youth Advisory Board were selected from over 120 nominations of students in grades 7 – 12. The YAB represents 13 states across the nation and a diversity of backgrounds and identities. All YAB members have a strong commitment to MCC’s mission of building just, caring, and respectful communities. They include:
- Aaron Daniels, Locust Valley, New York
- Abigail Rasol, Fort Lee, New Jersey
- Alexandra Ruckman, Summersville, West Virginia
- Amy Fan, Houston, Texas
- Andrew Schoonover, Olathe, Kansas
- Anthony Pena, Boston, Massachusetts
- Ashley Gore, Riverside, California
- Atiriya Saxena, Lutz, Florida
- Chloe Anne Mills, Toowoomba Australia
- Emma Bowe Shulman, Acton, Massachusetts
- Gabrielle Frost, Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania
- Hovhannes Nazaryan, North Hollywood, California
- Iris Zhao, San Jose, California
- Jules Spector, New York, New York
- Kollin Richards, Bartlett, Tennessee
- Lizbeth Ledesma, Inglewood, California
- Luis Gramajo, Katy, Texas
- Martha McKinley, Perth, Western Australia
- Mía Melendez, West Chester, Pennsylvania
- Rachel Kalombo, Boston, Massachusetts
- Salihi Alainchar, Sacramento, California
- Sophie Bernstein, St. Louis, Missouri
- Stephanie Villanueva-Villar, Dumfries, Virginia
- Tierra Conyers, Omaha, Nebraska
- Valerie Weisler, West Nyack, New York
Youth Advisory Board members will introduce themselves on the Making Caring Common Tumblr blog throughout the month of November.
About Making Caring Common: Making Caring Common (MCC), a project of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, helps educators, parents, and communities raise children who are caring, responsible to their communities, and committed to justice. Learn more at www.makingcaringcommon.org.